Today Emmeline (1 year old granddaughter), became choked on less than a half of a piece of strawberry. I stood in amazement because before I could reach her to assist her, I watched as she used her three middle fingers to cause herself to gag the piece of strawberry back up, thus assisting herself to breathe. Sharing with Emmeline’s mom how I saw her assist herself, she told me how this past weekend, they were visiting friends who have children as well.
Emmeline was playing in the bedroom with the other children while the parents were in another room. Suddenly Emmeline came running out of the bedroom towards her mom and was choking and couldn’t breathe. Before Emmeline’s mom could get to her, Emmeline stopped and used her three middle fingers to gag herself, causing herself to throw up and in doing so she un-lodged a cap from a lotion bottle she had swallowed, which was choking her. As her momma stood there in amazement – Emmeline was back to playing.
From the first time Emmeline began to eat solid foods and showed signs of choking, her mom and/or her dad would use their fingers in the same manner as Emmeline now does to assist herself – as long as there was no danger in pushing and/or lodging something further down her throat. Unknowingly they were teaching Emmeline a life saving technique, because now, she is able to assist herself, if need be. Children are incredible little beings.